Sunday, April 5, 2009

Always Entertaining

Downtown is always interesting. Check out some of the unique sights from last Friday evening:

I'm not the biggest fan of theater, but I'd like to check this play out based solely on the advertising!



No offense if you're into this kind of thing, but I was deeply disturbed. Alex said it made her feel like we were in France.



Um, I'm not sure, but it looked rather ceremonial to me...



In other news, according to a recent study, "the number of Americans who claim no religious affiliation has nearly doubled since 1990, rising from 8 to 15 percen," "the number of people willing to describe themselves as atheist or agnostic has increased about fourfold from 1990 to 2009, from 1 million to about 3.6 million. (That is about double the number of, say, Episcopalians in the United States.)," and "the percentage of self-identified Christians has fallen 10 percentage points since 1990, from 86 to 76 percent." You can read the Newsweek article here.

While I understand that the shifting cultural tides are grounds to make many in the mainstream nervous, I can't help but smile at these numbers. Especially after the Bush administration, we need more separation of church and state. As someone who has studied Latin and translated parts of the Bible from Latin to English, I have been astonished by how very different the meaning in Latin is from the "poetic license" of English translations. Not to mention that the Bible has gone from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English -- all languages that do not always correlate to one another. And there are people who believe the Bible word for word. A lot of them, in fact. That idea horrifies me.

I should know. I write fiction.

Mackenzie's Momma -- Aww that Husky sounds so beautiful! I love Huskies. :) The pair of dogs we had when I was growing up were part wolf, part Malamute and part lab. Gorgeous, intelligent beings!

Tracie -- Aww thanks for the link! Maybe I can get Teyla in! :D

No comments: