Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ohlone Day



Well, today I officially become an old lady. It's my 25th birthday. I plan to spend the day hiking and horseback riding and swimming and enjoying being alive. And old.

Yesterday, however, was Ohlone Day!

Here are some shots of Patrick Orozco & the Amah KaTura Dancers performing:

Many generations








The women pretending to gamble for a gambling song


Gambling song








Bear song




Thanks to the Creator for the deer, and to the deer for giving his life



One of my favorite shots of the day


Thanking the ocean for all it provides

Ocean Song



There were many activities to take part in:

A tule boat

Simulation of an archeological dig site

Acorn tops

A gentleman learns how to make fire

Tule crafts

Beautiful buckskin shirts

Beautiful, watertight baskets


Learning how to use the atlatl

For grinding acorn flour

The brush is made out of a root, the crumbs swept off the basket and placed into the bowl


Fry bread with strawberries!

Abalone decorations

Fallen leaves

Autumn is here!

Thank you to both Mackenzie's Momma (*big hugs back*) and Mo for your sympathy and support. And Mo -- I'm so sorry for your loss, as well!

This is actually the second boy I know from high school who has passed on. The first was when we were about 21... and I was a lot closer to him. He lived down the street from me and we were a week apart. We grew up together. He committed suicide, which made it all the more difficult to accept. May we all learn from those we have lost that life is such a precious gift, never to be wasted or taken for granted!

4 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

Looks like a very awesome event! Down south here, they used to have 'culture days' presented by our NA tribes(that we have too many of to keep track) but they don't do that anymore.

Anonymous said...

Fry bread Yum! Have never tried it with strawberries though. I'll have to suggest that to our only Fry Bread Rest.,(that I know of), Navajo Hogan.
He may look at me funny though...

That looks like a very educational and fun day.

Anonymous said...

Oh I almost forgot:

Happy Birthday to you!!

Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY , DEAR KELLIE!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!

"Whew I'm out of breath"

And I'm an old lady of 41 so I get out of breath not like you youngsters...

melissapaakkonen said...

We have those type of celebrations up here, I went to a First Nations choice school-one of ten white kids- so I went to celebrations for a long long time! They are fun. I dont know the difference between the Ohlone day, and the ones we celebrated up in PG, but they look familiar!

Also you're welcome, and thank you. Geoff completed suicide as well, and it does get better. Geoff wasn't the only person that was lost that year, so I know how it feels. Believe me.

And HAPPY Belated Birthday! Dont feel old, one of my best buds just turned 36 on the 14th-and I'm just 21!